Thursday, August 8, 2013

A week off? Yes, please!!

Braden had a routine appointment with Dr. Reddy today and I am very happy to report that he has a week off from his shots coming up!! He is so ready for a break and I am praying that he feels really good while we are on vacation. The countdown is on! We plan on doing a lot of eating, relaxing, eating, maybe some fishing, eating, hopefully some jeeping, and did I mention EATING?!? Dr. Reddy's only concern today was his weight loss and he wanted to decrease his dose but Braden said no way, so he has 4 weeks to put on a few pounds or Dr. Reddy is doing a dose reduction. Eating is becoming a job and I feel like the really mean boss!

On a side note, I just wanted to say how much I love getting messages from people saying they visited a dermatologist for a skin check! I also want to say how much I dislike hearing people talk about their summer tans or sunburns. If you have been reading my blog you know my stance on sun protection. You also know how strongly I feel about visiting a dermatologist. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, but in this case it definitely isn't! Tonight we were sitting at the dinner table and out of the blue Braden said to me, "Did you ever think that this would be our life now? Sometimes I have to pinch myself.. and not in a good way."  Discussing future scans, worrying about the chance of metastasis, dealing with side effects of treatment, and living with the anxiety and fear this diagnosis brings. From the very beginning we have hoped and prayed that somehow we could make a difference. That others would know melanoma isn't just "skin cancer."  I have seen this video several times and each time it brings me to tears. Hillary was also a stage 3b melanoma warrior, just like Braden. Sadly, her battle ended in October of last year, but her wish was just like ours. Spread awareness and find a cure...



No comments:

Post a Comment