Thursday, April 4, 2013

taking good care of daddy

I am so happy to report that yesterday was Braden's last day of high dose treatment! He made it through 18 doses and I personally think he did awesome! Dr. Reddy has been a little concerned with Braden's blood counts, specifically his neutrophil count, which is what helps his body fight against infection. His neutrophil count has steadily been decreasing and today it hit a new low. Braden's liver enzymes were starting to increase again so Dr. Reddy said it is time to stop. Braden was concerned at first (I think this is his competitive nature) that we were stopping treatment 2 days early, but Dr. Reddy reassured us it was time. His neutrophil level is too low to continue and his body is saying no more! So, with that news they pulled the PICC line out of his arm and sent us home. The plan was to start the next phase of treament on Monday, but Dr. Reddy wants to give his body a week to try and recover a bit before we start in again, so we have next week off! Braden is staying tucked in at home until his neutrophils recover. I hope he can get a little energy and some of his appetite back over the next week. Some days are better than others but this stuff is not for the weak or weary!

We just happened to have the best nurse taking care of us today! And boy was she cute!!
 
 

She took good care of his IV
 
 
She cuddles with the patients
 
 
She watches cartoons and shares her snacks
 
 
She holds his hand during the ouchie parts
 
 
I think she would make a fantastic oncology nurse if I do say so myself! Braden was tired and ready for a nap so after his appointment Brynn and I tucked him in at home and went out for a little celebration of our own in Daddy's honor! It was nice to have some one-on-one time with my girl!


 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



2 comments:

  1. God bless! You are an amazing family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you Braden and your amazing wife and daughter. I went to High school with you and I am praying for you

    ReplyDelete